Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crazy quilts, PIFFs and carving

March 4, 2009


Today is less hectic than yesterday. Yesterday our boy was sick. Mama was quite worried about him. He is usually very healthy, very large, rather loud and mischievous. In the little over a month that I have known him, he is always hungry. Yesterday, he was none of those things. We got such a late start because of his illness, that Mama forgot all about mailing my traveling dress. The traveling dress isn’t exactly a swap. Each Hittymom is sending around an unadorned dress to be embellished by a group of friends and then returned to her. We got my dress into the mail today. Mama forgot the beautiful little book she had meant to send and ended up with post it notes in the package. It won’t be as pretty, but she can always mount the pages when they return to keep them. Maybe if we do this again, she will be able to use the book next time.
Mama was worn out with worry when we got home yesterday. She had been talking about a nap when she saw the mailbox. It was filled to overflowing with packages. We got our new dishes, glasses and silverware in the mail from playscale minis. They are in a pattern similar to Mama’s china.
As those who know me know, I love dresses. Like any self respecting Hitty, I plan to repeat my dresses as little as possible. So, I spend a lot of time asking for new dresses. Yesterday, Mama presented me with a modern sewing machine and sewing basket of my very own. Now, I will be able to help her with the 100 Hitty dresses. I think I will set up space in the office for my sewing area. Yasu used the dining room while she was here, but I am more comfortable with the office. I already have a storage table where I can keep my things.
We also received 3 other packages in the mail today. One was a Crazy Quilt from Mama’s friend Linda. It is very pretty and goes well with the Navarro House bedroom. Adsila thought the bunny was the best part for it has become her special sleep toy, Last week was the end of the swap and we mailed Mama’s quilt on Saturday. Mama has promised me a crazy quilt of my own design this summer when she is out of school. That gives me a lot of time to collect scraps for my quilt.
The next package was a PIF from Mama’s friend Happy. She sent us a little clothespin doll named Ruby Lyn. Adsila took to her immediately and took her to settle in the Navarro House Annex with Ashley and the bears. Last night she shared a bunk with one of the bears.
The second PIF was for me from my maker; it is a beautiful floral kimono. At first I thought of giving it to Yasu, but secretly I was overjoyed when Mama said it was too short for Yasu and that I would have to keep it for myself. It is definitely not a hardship to keep this kimono for myself.
Yesterday evening, I changed clothes three times so that Mama could take pictures of my new dresses and the beautiful kimono.
Today is Mama’s least favorite days of teaching-TAKS test. On testing days, she spends half or more of the day with a small group of students.
The thing she really hates is the lack of interaction. As I type, I watch her walk around the classroom. The thing that she dislikes the most on test days is the disruption of her regular schedule. Next to that is the lack of meaningful contact with her students.
Saturday, Mama received a second blank to go with her carving kit. A blank is the beginnings of a doll, but she hasn’t been brought to life yet. Mama wants to bring Hittys to life through carving. I told her she had to finish other things first, like her crazy quilt and my charm quilt, green dresses and the charm quilt swap. She did not listen to me. Instead, she waited until I fell asleep, and started carving. Sunday, she went out and bought files to go with her carving kit. Yesterday she was busy with our boy, the packages and errands. This evening she hopes to carve some more.
Since, she has started the charm quilt for the swap and I do have 3 new dresses, I guess it is okay.
Wondering who she will be,

Hitty Aliza
(Sorry about the lack of pictures, I couldn't get them to load-and Mama was already asleep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment