Friday, February 27, 2009

A Very Busy Week









February 24, 2009
I know that I am a very lucky Hitty. I have a beautiful home, Navarro House, a Mama who loves me , wonderful sisters, a piano of my own, books, toys, my own garden, two desks, one at home and one in Mama’s classroom, a closet full of clothes, tho’ not as many as Sevashteen. What more could a Hitty want you ask? A computer of my own. It is very inconvenient to wait until my mama finishes doing email before I can work on my blog. I know that it will soon get worse-Mama plans to work on a novel with her new netbook. Not only will I get less attention if she is working on a novel; I will never get a chance to blog at all. I am writing this in her classroom today while she is doing grades on the laptop.











I know that once we get home and she can get on the Internet; I will have no chance to use the netbook. I guess I am pretty lucky that we read the various doll blogs together. I have learned many things by reading about the lives of other companion and travel dolls.
What is a companion or travel doll? Well, first of all we have been around for more than a hundred years. In folktales, we provide not only companionship to our people, but wisdom and at times skills that save their lives. Physically, companion dolls tend to be less than 10 inches tall-in other words easily portable.(At 6 ¼ inches tall, a Hitty is perfect for this position.) As a travel doll, one must have clothing appropriate for every occasion. I have only been with my mama since January and I have about 1 dozen outfits so far. I need these outfits because I travel everywhere with Mama. When possible, she takes pictures to document my adventures and help illustrate my blog. Companion/travel dolls lead very busy lives and have a very definite sense of self. Now, I do want to let you know that not all Hittys are travel dolls. Some are homebodies, that still act as companions to their person, but do not have the adventurous spirit that makes for a travel doll. My sisters Gabi and Yasu are such dolls. They prefer to be at home in the rooms they have claimed as their own. Gabi prefers to be in her kitchen, while Yasu prefers the dining room. She has turned it into her sewing room and stores her sewing machine, fabric and notions in the bottom of the buffet during the evening.
As artists, Adsila and I need more stimulus from the world to create our arts. I am a musician and writer. She is a musician and painter. Right now, she is occupied exploring the nuances of our home, but she has already said that at some point she will want to travel so that she can broaden her art.

February 26, 2009
How much your world can change in the course of two days! Yesterday, Mama was sick with a terrible migraine. It is very hard to help when the cups and medicine bottles are bigger than you are. All I could do was talk to her softly. Luckily, her best friend Mayra came to her rescue. Miss Mayra hadn’t met Adsila or Yasu before. She had only heard about them and seen their pictures. Yasu who had been very quiet, suddenly started talking to Miss Mayra. She asked her to be her Mama. Miss Mayra held her to her as Mama asked “Is she your Hitty?”
Then there was a flurry of packing and I get to call Miss Mayra, Aunt Mayra instead. Yasu is my cousin, not my sister. She knew she was close to home, but Navarro House was not it. She recognized Aunt Mayra as her very own Mama and now has become a travel doll as well. Aunt Mayra has borrowed Mama’s Hitty The first Hundred Years so that she can read it with Yasu and they will both learn about our ancestor. Mama sent Aunt Mayra an email with websites to help get Yasu settled and an email group where she can talk to other Hitty moms. Yasu, had a box of belongings a bed and chair as well as the kimono pattern and fabric for kimonos. She was glowing with happiness as she left with her Mama. I am so glad she found out where she belongs.
Mama says one of the missions in life of a Hittygirl is to spread the joy that Hittys bring into your life.



February 27,2009




Yesterday evening, Mama surprised me with a laptop of my very own. I was about to start work on my blog when Mama pulled in the mail. It was a package from her dolly swap partner, Miss Tree. She had emailed Mama that she was sending something different-since Mama already had one of her knit dollies.(More about Ashley, later) We were so surprised to find one of her wonderful sock monkeys. It was cute when Mama showed me the pictures on the internet, but even more spectacular in person. It is not only cute, it is so very cuddly that I don’t want to let go. I told my sisters, Gabi and Adsila that Miss Tree sent her to me, because I don’t want to share. Today I am in my chair in Mama’s classroom balancing my monkey and my laptop on my lap. It is somewhat precarious, but I can’t bear to let go of my monkey. Later, I will read Hitty’s Favorite Toys to her. I haven’t named her yet; I am still thinking about a name.











Ashley is the little knitted doll, made by Miss Tree, who claimed the tiny doll sent to us by Hittyfriend. Shortly after Navarro House was built, we received quite a bit of beautiful furniture that was just the right size for Hittys-but that meant it was way too big for Ashley and the bears. Ashley had already decided that the teddy bears were not toys, but her friends and took them for playmates. Now, she and the bears have taken all the small furniture and claim our storage building as the Navarro House Annex. This week, Ashley came to Mama and asked for a governess and a sister her size to play with. Mama agreed and is attempting to engage the services of a governess.
Well, tomorrow should be busy as well. We are trying to arrange a play date with Yasu, Miss Jo has asked us to call-Oh I forgot, Mama finished the Crazy Quilt I designed. Mama and I will be cutting out more dresses. With the snap belt, I really like the dag dress and we will all be able to share.
Till next time,
Hitty Aliza

No comments:

Post a Comment