Friday, May 6, 2011

Remembering furry friends

Rainbow Bridge Poem I looked this poem up today because someone on one of my doll boards was dealing with the failing health of a beloved cat.

I was happy to find the letter that my husband wrote about Viola, my beloved kitty companion of fifteen years. I have copied my favorite part here:




Viola's second- best gift to me and my family over the years was a
reminder to take the time to play. This reminder generally took the
form of grabbing us with a paw as we walked passed the bed, imploring us to take the time to pet her and play with her. Any time we would stop to continue on our way, she would reach out to grab our hand, draw it close, clean us, then ask for more petting and belly-rubs.

Viola's greatest gift was in her ability (as well as the ability of all of our pets) to remind me of how precious life in general really
is. As Valerie and I sat next her in her final moments, saddened that
she would no longer have an active role in our lives, I found the
moment tempered by all of the demonstrations of affection that
Viola had given us in the past. She gave us the opportunity to demonstrate responsibility toward others and a realization that these qualities extend to all of those who we truly care about. Viola (as well as all of our pets) helps me come to grips not only with the concept of
mortality, but also with the realization of the overall value of a
life well-spent.




Our furry companions have so much to teach us about living in the present moment.

1 comment:

  1. *huggles* I wish I could say more at this point in time but I'm still just trying to cope with Max's leaving us. I know that its the lessons he taught me that I am thankful for, but I'm selfish and I wish he were still (physically) here in our lives.

    ReplyDelete