Sunday, July 5, 2009

99 Dresses out of 100

Yesterday, I finished my 99th dress-and although I had other dresses cut out; I stopped and put away my sewing things for the day. I did not realize until today as I went through my fabrics to choose the next set to cut out, why I had stopped. I wanted to pause and reflect upon what I had accomplished since I started the 100 dresses. I have gone from machine sewing to sewing the dresses totally by hand. I have discovered the beauty of Superior Thread along the way, especially the Masterpiece thread. I order a few spools each month, gradually I will have all of the colors I use. I have discovered that I love to handsew and create tiny patterns. Looking for ways to showcase my dresses, I have created tiny rooms that are wallpapered, curtained and have beautiful furnishings and accessories. I have discovered that I enjoy wood carving and have carved small dolls to wear my tiny dresses. A carving experiment with an 8 inch ball jointed wooden doll led me to DOA-Den of Angels and the beauty of ABJD-Asian Ball jointed dolls made out of resin. Looking for a BJD that looked like me led me first to Bobobie and their beautiful chocolate resin. Looking for a wig led me to the Sleeeping Elf Ltd and the amazing Witley Elves.
My work on 100 dresses has led me to worlds that I never knew exsisted. It started with Aliza, my beautiful Hitty hand carved from olive wood from Bethlehem. She still has her tiny bedroom next to my bed, but she doesn't travel. I realized that she is irreplaceable and I would mourn her if damaged, or lost. Aliza is my touchstone that I see every morning upon waking. She reminds me to greet each day with joy.
Miela reminds me that the world changes depending on how you view it. It can be a place of joy or woe-it is up to me.

I needed to take the time to pause and reflect on all the things that the 100 Dresses Project has given me. I have many new hobbies that will provide me with years of enjoyment, but best of all are the friends I have made in my journey. The internet has made it possible to have friendships that spread around the world. We are linked through our common interest in dolls and the beauty they bring to our lives.

Tomorrow, I shall finish my 100th dress, but it isn't the end. It is the beginning of a whole new path of discovery and wonder.

Blessed and Joyful,
Valerie

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post! You have my fingers itching to pick up a needle and thread. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments...it is quite amazing where the 100 dresses have led you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete