Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Trunk Full of Doll Clothes

I have always wanted a trunk doll, but not just any trunk doll. I want a trunk doll with a complete wardrobe of Little Women era dresses. So, I finally broke down and bought Susan Sirkis's Wish booklet #1 . It contains patterns from 1861 to 1865. I have traced out my first outfit and was pleased to find that the jacket will fit my beloved Shriara Abha without alterations.


Unfortunately, I misjudged the size of the skirt pattern, so although it is lovely, it is too short for the hoop skirt. I still need to finish the trim on the jacket and have cut out a longer and wider version of the skirt to go over the hoop skirt.

I made my hoops in black , so that I can use them with a Steampunk outfit I am planning to make later. This jacket is part of a suit that has a box pleated skirt.
It is long enough for the hoop, but she won't fit in her chair with it on.


I still need to make more blouses and a real petticoat.(25 inches gathered down to 3.5 inches.) But, I have a good start on her wardrobe and already own a lovely trunk to store her clothing.
One of my inspirations has been the set of four Little Women trunk dolls put out by Madame Alexander in the Cissette doll size. I have made a compilation of the contents of the four trunks as a guide to what should be in Shriara's trunk.



Contents of Little Women trunks by Madame Alexander

Outerwear, shoes
burgundy wool coat
brown & black boots.
red velvet cloak
black boots,
black high heels
satin pumps

Gowns
ivory wedding gown

Dresses
white and brown tweed dress
a pink and black cotton dress,
a maroon pin-striped dress
with black velvet jacket
blue floral print dress,
a black and white dress
red and white dress
blue plaid dress
plaid lavender taffeta dress
with lavender underskirt,
A golden paisley brocade dress
an amber cotton dress

Accessories
velvet belt,
black straw hat
muff,
veil
petticoat
stockings
gloves
pearl necklace
a bouquet
beige nightgown with lace trim
pantaloons
an extra wig.
cameo pin,
ivory corset,
apron,
bonnet,
a straw hat

It is a lot, but I have noticed a lack of suits in the list, which will be part of the wardrobe I am creating. It is so much fun to make the tiny jackets and I love the flow of the skirts. Some of the colors will change, but I will be making at least ten dresses. I already have a wedding gown for her and plan to make one of the ball gowns described in the book.
I am enjoying myself immensely and will be making updates to my progress.
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment